Long time no post on this blog and terribly bad performance for almost a year. But that's all history now. I finally found the time to move the site to a new server with enough speed to serve all visitors to their satisfaction. Hostpoint did quite a good job for a long time. But the performance on their shared hosting servers got bader and bader every year.
Especially the database performance became really awful. That alone may have been acceptable for some more time, but the downtime increased almost weekly, which of course is very annoying to users looking for PXE Install Tutorials or Firefox Tweaks.
Check out the list below to get an impression. The monitoring was done by requesting a file from the webserver every 15min, which is a really simple monitoring setup. Additionally I logged the load averages and uptime every 5 seconds and I can confirm that they match exactly with the external monitoring. Actually my server had a reboot about every 2-4 days after the load averages increased up to around 15-20 (where they usually should be around 2-5 for this server). Hostpoint is really doing a bad job on monitoring their older servers. I know they have other shared hosting servers that perform way better. Too bad...
Excerpt from the log of the last couple of days
- 2007-10-13 17:50:29 : back_up
- 2007-10-12 04:31:08 : down
- 2007-10-08 05:38:23 : back_up
- 2007-10-08 05:16:25 : down
- 2007-10-07 10:18:56 : back_up
- 2007-10-07 09:55:46 : down
- 2007-10-06 11:03:08 : back_up
- 2007-10-06 10:41:49 : down
- 2007-10-06 09:21:07 : back_up
- 2007-10-06 09:01:27 : down
- 2007-10-03 09:21:42 : back_up
- 2007-10-03 09:01:03 : down
- 2007-10-02 17:08:45 : back_up
- 2007-10-02 15:56:46 : down
- 2007-10-02 13:28:51 : back_up
- 2007-10-02 13:03:37 : down
- 2007-10-02 06:24:13 : back_up
- 2007-10-02 06:02:22 : down
- 2007-10-02 05:37:57 : back_up
- 2007-10-02 04:25:49 : down